Yikes, life happened and I forgot about this for a couple days, so let’s play catch-up.
Day 10: Favorite Holiday Scent
I inherited my passion for candles from my mom. It’s not just because of the lovely scent they give your space(s) but also for the soft glow of the flame when they’re burning. It’s especially nice during this time of year to have a candle burning; it makes everything seem really cozy and warm.
Oh wait, it’s mid-December and it’s been in the 60s for a week. Right.
At this very moment, I’m thisclose to being done with a Signature Soy candle from Target called Sleigh Ride [coconut, vanilla, lemon, Sandalwood, and Amber]; it’s not super Christmas-y, but it’s a light, fresh scent. They blended the scents together nicely because it doesn’t smell overtly like any one note.
A couple weeks ago, I went a little nuts on the Bath and Body Works site and bought a few [eight] candles. The reason I was on there in the first place was to get my mom some lotion for Christmas as she loves the Mad About You scent. Then I realized that 3-wick candles were on sale for $12 (normally $20). Jackpot.
If you’re curious, here’s a line-up of the scents I purchased. Really, only the top two are Christmas-y; some are more for New Year’s and other celebrations (Black Tie smells like men’s cologne!), and others are for any day, any season.
L to R, T to B:
- Tis the Season [The rich, fruity scent of red apples, green pine & golden cider captures the joy of the season]
- Cozy Cabin [Escape to a rustic cabin with a welcoming blend of frosted vanilla, sage, and golden glowing woods]
- Cheers [Raise a glass with family and friends to notes of red fruit and mulled apples layered over rare saffron spice]
- Black Tie [Your perfect date to any holiday party – green sage, sandalwood, and Tonka bean]
- Champagne Toast [Pop, clink, and sparkle with an effervescent blend of champagne, juicy nectarine, and blackcurrant]
- Italy Espresso Cafe [Immerse yourself in Italy’s coffee culture with an impressive blend of rich Italian roasted coffee beans and the perfect dash of vanilla cream]
- Fresh Water & Sea Salt [Refresh a room with the clean fragrance of crisp water notes, sea salt crystals, and a bright hint of citrus]
- Sundrenched Vineyards [A full-bodied blend of rich fruit, white wine grapes, and oak recalls an unforgettable day at a family-run vineyard in Sonoma]
Day 11: Favorite Christmas Tradition
When I was a kid: getting presents.
Now: Giving presents and watching people open them.
Day 12: Wrapping Paper or Gift Bags?
I don’t care. Do people really care about this?
Day 13: Favorite Christmas Book?
At first, I read this and thought, “Are there such things as Christmas books, and do people actually have a favorite?” I dug deep into my memory and realized, “YES, and I have one!”
When I was in first grade, my teacher read us a book that intrigued me so much that I made it my mission (and my mom’s mission, of course) to find and obtain my own copy. We went to so many stores searching and asking about it that I don’t even remember where we actually ended up getting it from. I’m not certain if I even have it anymore, similar to my Christmas decorations. I’m really hoping it’s in storage, but if it’s not I will definitely be buying it in the future. You know, for our kids because they’ll be sure to love it.
The book is called The Jolly Christmas Postman by Janet and Alan Ahlberg. It’s got letters you can pull out of envelopes and read. When I was younger, among other things, I wanted to be a post office delivery person. I loved sorting and organizing things, and mail excited me because back then, whenever I received it, there was always something good inside.